Nose Surgery in Minneapolis-St. Paul
What is Nose Surgery?
Your nose is the focal point of your face, and patients who are unhappy with their nose shape can lose self-confidence. Nose surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, can enhance the proportions of the face and add harmony to the features. Nose surgery can also be done to correct an airway that is obstructed. This can cause difficulty in breathing and can be corrected by adjusting the nasal structure.
Cost of Nose Surgery
This includes your surgical fee and all follow-up visits with Dr. Rocheford. This estimate also includes the facility fee and anesthesia costs. This is an estimate and may be different depending on your specific situation. It does not include the cost of your pre-operative physical, lab tests, or medications. Dr. Rocheford does charge $100 for consultations, and that fee is deducted from the price of your surgery or in-office procedure.
Save $25 On Your Consultation!
Nose Surgery Details:
- Surgery: Surgery is done under a general anesthetic at an outpatient facility. The surgery takes about 1.5 – 3 hours and you can go home the same day.
- Discomfort: Moderate. If your nasal bones are broken, expect 5 – 10 days of prescription pain medication. If not, anticipate 2 – 7 days of pain medication. Use a humidifier and nasal saline spray to keep your nasal passages moist and comfortable.
- Bruising: Improves within 3 – 10 days if your nasal bones are not broken and 7 – 14 days if they are. Black eyes are possible during this time.
- Swelling: Improves in 1 – 6 weeks after closed and 1 – 6 months following open surgery. Keeping your head elevated and applying ice help minimize swelling.
- Stitches: Internal stitches dissolve. Open rhinoplasty leaves stitches under the tip of your nose. These will be removed in 4 – 7 days.
- Bandages: Tapes and a cast will be applied at the time of surgery.
- Packing: Used occasionally to control bleeding. Removed in 1 – 7 days.
- Make-up: May be worn after the cast has been removed.
- Work: You may feel capable of returning within 1 week, but your appearance is the limiting factor.
- Presentable in Public: 2 weeks – you may need make-up to conceal bruises.
- Exercise: May be resumed in 3 – 4 weeks. Avoid contact sports for 6 weeks.
- Sun Protection: Six months with SPF 15 or higher.
- Final Result: Usually by 6 months. Maybe as soon as 3 months or as late as 2 years. The results are permanent.
Who is a Good Candidate for Nose Surgery?
Those who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose or are having trouble breathing due to a deviated septum can often benefit from nose surgery. It is important that a patient’s nose is completely done growing before undergoing nose surgery. Those who are physically healthy and don’t smoke are ideal candidates.
Dr. Rocheford is a quality physician with superior doctor/patient interaction skills. She makes you feel comfortable from the initial consultation all the way through the follow-up. She is also a highly skilled surgeon. I was more than pleased with the procedure she performed for me. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking into cosmetic surgery.” Read More Stories
Rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthetic and is an outpatient procedure. It can be done using either an open or closed approach. A closed procedure uses incisions hidden inside the nose, where an open procedure uses an incision made across the columella or the tissue that separates the nostrils. Dr. Rocheford will reshape the nose to fit the patient’s individual desires. Incisions are then closed
Nose surgery is done to treat a variety of conditions: a bump on the nose, a big tip, a hanging tip. Perhaps the nose is too large overall or there are breathing issues. Surgery is performed through internal or external incisions, sometimes a combination of both. Following removal of the bump, reshaping of the tip, and improving the airway, an external splint will be applied. Occasionally, internal splints will be used as well.
Nose Surgery Recovery
Following nose surgery, swelling and bruising will be present but often improves within three to 10 days. Internal stitches will dissolve while external stitches will be removed within a week. Patients can return to work after one week, or when they feel comfortable with their appearance. Makeup can also be worn after one week to conceal any bruising. By six months post-op, the final results will be apparent. If you’re ready to discuss your options for improving the appearance of your nose, now is a great time to schedule your Nose Surgery consultation with Dr. Heather Rocheford at our plastic surgery offices, serving the Twin Cities Metro area including St. Paul, Minneapolis, Woodbury and beyond. Simply request a consultation online or call Rocheford Plastic Surgery at 651-739-1100 today to schedule your appointment.
Nose Surgery FAQs
Can a nose job make your nose smaller?
A nose job can change the size and shape of your nose. If the patient wants a reduction in the size of their nose, a rhinoplasty can make this happen.
Can I sleep on my side after rhinoplasty?
Your nose will be sensitive during your recovery, so it’s important to keep your head elevated as much as possible as you heal. Sleeping on your stomach or side can potentially put pressure on your nose that may cause damage or discomfort.
Can nasal bone be shaped?
Rhinoplasty can alter the shape of the nasal bones in order to give the nose a better look and structure.
Can nasal polyps change shape of nose?
Nasal polyps can change the shape of the nose if they develop into large enough masses. If left untreated for too long, the nose may widen due to the constant pressure of the polyps.
Does deviated septum surgery change your nose?
Deviated septum surgery, also known as septoplasty surgery, is not designed to alter the look of your nose. However, it is possible that this surgery can improve the shape and form of your nose.
Can rhinoplasty help sinus problems?
Although different from sinus surgery, rhinoplasty can help improve breathing by correcting a deviated septum, causing a restricted airway in the nostrils.
Do nose jobs last forever?
Yes, the improvements to nasal shape and size are intended to be permanent.
How long are you swollen after rhinoplasty?
For closed rhinoplasties, swelling can go down within six weeks. For open rhinoplasty procedures, the process can take longer, up to six months.
Does your voice change after rhinoplasty?
In certain cases, the change in the shape of the nose and internal structures can slightly alter the resonance of a persons voice.
How bad is nose job recovery?
Most rhinoplasty patients find the recovery process to be moderately uncomfortable, with pain mitigated with medication prescribed by Dr. Rocheford.