Tummy Tuck in Minneapolis-St. Paul
What is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, is done to remove excess fat and skin from the abdomen, as well as tighten weakened abdominal muscles. This procedure can help to form a tighter, flatter abdominal profile. This procedure can be performed alone or in conjunction with another procedure to comprehensively address the contour of the body. The following information will review all aspects of the procedure including the cost, procedure details, and discuss who is an ideal candidate.
Cost of Tummy Tuck
This includes your surgical fee and all follow-up visits with Dr. Rocheford. This estimate also includes the facility fee and anesthesia costs. This is an estimate and may be different depending on your specific situation. It does not include the cost of your pre-operative physical, lab tests or medications. Dr. Rocheford does charge $100 for consultations, and that fee is deducted from the price of your surgery or in-office procedure.
Save $25 On Your Consultation!
DETAILS OF TUMMY TUCK SURGERY
The key to a successful outcome is full-transparency. The following information is the full breakdown of the procedure:
- The Surgery – The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia and usually takes 2 – 3 hours.
- Discomfort – The level of discomfort to expect will be approximately moderate to severe. Patients should anticipate 3 – 14 days of pain medication.
- Bruising – Bruising is not a typical side effect to the procedure, unless combined with liposuction.
- Swelling – Swelling post-procedure typically peaks at 3 days, improves in 2 – 4 weeks, but may take 3 months to fully resolve.
- Bandages – Patients will have bandages changed the day after surgery.
- Stitches – For a tummy tuck, Dr. Rocheford uses internal stitches that dissolve on their own.
- Drains – Drains will be placed to prevent fluid collections, also known as seromas. The tubes are plastic and are connected to small reservoirs the size of a lemon. You will need to empty them several times daily. Drains are removed between 2 and 3 weeks following surgery.
- Support Garments – An abdominal binder will be placed on you at the time of surgery and will be worn full time for the first six weeks’ post–operation.
- Work – You may return to work when you are done taking prescription pain medication. Use of medication is usually completed in 1 – 2 weeks. If your job requires manual lifting or labor, it’s best to wait 4 – 6 weeks.
- Sun Exposure – For optimal healing and minimally visible scars, it is vital to protect the surgical site from the sun with sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher for one year.
- Exercise – Patients can expect to resume gentle walking in 2 weeks. However, for weights and more vigorous exercise, 4 – 6 weeks.
- Final Result – Following scar maturation, patients can begin to enjoy the full results in about one year. This includes the reduction of swelling, scar visibility, and lessening of any discomfort.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
Good candidates for a tummy tuck are those who are non-smokers and who are physically healthy. Patients who are bothered with the appearance of their abdomen and who have realistic expectations can often benefit the most from this procedure. A consultation with Dr. Rocheford can help to decide whether this procedure is a good match for you.
Working with Dr. Rocheford was the best experience I have had working with a doctor. She was personable and professional. I can’t say enough good things about her and her staff. They were all wonderful to work with! I couldn’t be happier with the results! I highly recommend Dr. Rocheford!”
Read More Stories
The Tummy Tuck Procedure
A tummy tuck is an outpatient procedure done under general anesthesia. It involves a horizontal scar between the pubic hairline and belly button. The length of this incisions will depend on the amount of excess skin being removed. The abdominal skin is then lifted, and the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened. In some cases, a second incision around the belly button may be needed to remove extra skin on the upper abdomen. The upper abdominal skin is then pulled down, excess skin removed, and remaining skin sutured together.
A tummy tuck is performed through an incision on the lower abdomen just at the pubic line. The skin and fatty tissue will be lifted up away from the abdominal muscles up to the level of the breasts. Sutures are used to bring the muscles back together which will flatten your stomach and cinch your waist. Once the muscle repair is complete, the extra skin and tissue is removed and the incision is closed with internal dissolving stitches. The belly button is brought out through new skin and stitched into place.
Tummy Tuck Recovery
Following surgery, drains will be placed to collect any excess fluid that may build up. Swelling and discomfort may occur, but can be controlled with medication and compression garments. The compression garment should be worn for six weeks to promote optimal healing. Most patient can return to work in one to two weeks, with final results becoming apparent in one year.
If you’re ready to discuss your tummy tuck options, now is a great time to schedule your tummy tuck consultation in Minneapolis-St. Paul with Dr. Heather Rocheford at our plastic surgery offices, serving the Twin Cities Metro area including St. Paul, Minneapolis, Woodbury and beyond. Simply request a consultation online or call Rocheford Plastic Surgery at 651-968-1294 today to schedule your appointment.
Click for more FAQ’s