SkinPen: Your Next Facial Treatment to Schedule
When your skin ages, it naturally loses collagen. This process is responsible for laxity, sagging, and wrinkling of your skin that usually signals signs of aging. There are numerous options that can get your skin back into shape, some of which don’t require surgery or downtime. Microneedling is one treatment option that has attracted a lot of attention, so here’s what to know about SkinPen microneedling at our Woodbury office.
What happens during SkinPen Treatment?
Before your SkinPen treatment, a numbing cream will be applied to the treatment area. Once you’re comfortable, a pen-sized device with small, fine needles is stamped along the skin. As it moves, the needles go up and down, making micro-injuries or channels in the skin. The micro-injuries cause the body to initiate the healing process. This process takes place in three phases:
- Inflammation: After the initial, controlled wounding of the SkinPen treatment, your body has an inflammatory response. This phase is important because it allows the body to increase blood flow, remove debris, disinfect new wounds, and create new tissue.
- Proliferation: When we sustain a wound, it heals through a process called granulation. New blood vessels and tissues are created at this time of healing.
- Remodeling: At this stage, new, permanent collagen is made in the skin. This collagen gives the skin a tighter, smoother, and more rejuvenated appearance. It also strengthens the skin from the inside out.
What conditions can SkinPen treat?
The SkinPen device has been used to treat a number of skin issues and conditions. These include:
- Fine lines
- Acne scarring
- Skin laxity
- Poor skin tone
- Stretch marks
Are there any risks to worry about?
SkinPen is clinically-proven and FDA-cleared for treating acne scars. It’s extremely versatile, as well, and is safe and effective when performed by an aesthetician under the guidance of a board-certified plastic surgeon. With that being said, any procedure or treatment brings potential risks. The potential risks of SkinPen treatment are:
What is the recovery process like?
After a SkinPen microneedling treatment, you won’t need much downtime at all. There are some things you’ll need to know about recovery in order to ensure the best results after your treatment, though. After your treatment:
- Redness can last anywhere from 24-48 hours
- You should wear SPF 30 or higher to protect your skin after treatment
- It may be necessary to reschedule public appearances for a day or two, depending on your skin and comfort level
- Bruising that occurs around the eyes or lips can be covered with makeup the next day
Schedule a Consultation
With the right package of treatments, you can enjoy rejuvenated skin with one of the best treatment options on the market. If you want to experience SkinPen and its results for yourself, schedule your consultation with Dr. Rocheford and our expert team by calling or filling out our online form.