5 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Belly Fat
Losing belly fat isn’t just great for your confidence levels; it’s also fantastic for your health. Belly fat can increase your risk for several health conditions and diseases, including heart disease and Type 2 diabetes. The more of a “gut” you have, the greater your odds are of developing these diseases; therefore, it’s in your best interest to lose your belly fat ASAP.
Of course, that’s easier said than done. If you’re having trouble losing belly fat, here are five reasons why…
- You’re not getting enough sleep. Sounds strange, but if you don’t get your daily dose of ZZZ’s, you’re actually making it harder for your body to blast away fat and calories. Studies have shown that if you get five hours of sleep or less each night, you’re 30% more likely to gain thirty pounds or more than those who log in seven hours or more each night. Get to bed early – your waistline will thank you for it!
- You’re stressed out. It’s a known fact that you’re much more likely to snack when you’re feeling stressed – but your body is actually programmed to cling to these calories. When you’re stressed, a hormone known as cortisol is released, which encourages your body to store fat in the belly region.
- You’re not challenging yourself. If you’re logging in hours at the gym but not seeing a change in your weight, it might be that you’re not doing a challenging workout. The body only changes when your muscles are pushed and challenged in new ways – and if you’re doing the same three-mile run every weekend, it’s not enough to get rid of belly fat.
- You’re only doing cardio. Cardio is great for your heart, but it’s not exactly going to blast away belly fat. If you want to lose weight and slash your risk for disease, throw some weights into your gym routine. Weights are a great way to build and tone muscle, which burns calories even while you’re not working out.
- You’re eating the wrong foods. Processed foods lead to belly fat – so if you want to lose the weight, you need to toss the junk and stock your fridge with healthy fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
If you’re still having trouble losing weight, schedule a consultation with Dr. Heather Rocheford at her plastic surgery practice in Woodbury, MN (also serving Minneapolis and St. Paul) by calling 651-739-1100. As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Rocheford can suggest a few alternatives to eliminating belly fat, including liposuction.